Six Questions About Underwriting on KZYX
1. What is underwriting? Underwriting is a schedule of on-air announcements that promote a business or non-profit organization. Traditional radio stations call these messages “commercials”. In public radio the rules are a little different and the commercials are called “underwriting”.
2. Who produces the announcements? Most underwriting announcements heard on KZYX are read live by the programmer. Some announcements are prerecorded by members of the KZYX staff or programmers when a live programmer is not in the studio.
3. What can be included in my announcement? General or specific information about your business or organization.
What cannot be included in my announcement? Specific pricing (including the word “free”), discounts, inducements, qualitative comparisons to other businesses or other organizations.
4. Who writes my announcement? You provide the station with a general idea (50-100 words) of what you wish to say. KZYX will create an announcement that conveys the message without using problematic language (see #4 above).
5. How do I get more information? Send us the following: Your name, name of business, contact email and contact phone, and a sentence or two about what information you wish our audience to know.