Morning News for Thursday, January 17th
The Rotary of Mendocino & the Mendocino Land Trust are collaborating to create "Rotary Park' in the green space with towering eucalyptus on the corner of Lansing and Main. Used as a passage between the two thoroughfares, this double lot has been empty for the better part of a decade.
The Rotary Club of Mendocino learned that that two developer bids were currently on the table with the owner, Lantzman Investments. Mendocino Land Trust agreed to assist in protecting 44961 Main St. from development.
Working together, Rotary and the Land Trust have signed purchase documents that provide at least one year to raise the funds necessary to make "Rotary Park" a reality.
The Yurok Tribal Council decided to put up for vote a referendum that seeks to allocate funds, recently won in $27.5 million settlement, by distributing $17,000,000, 63 percent, in per capita payments to tribal members and investing the remaining $10,000,000, 37 percent, in the Tribe's first destination resort/casino to provide continuing employment for members.
The settlement won in Nez Perce Tribe, et al. v. Salazar was finalized on January 4 in the US District Court for the District of Columbia.
The per capita distribution plan includes the following: $4,500 for all members 60 years old or older, $3,500 for all 18 to less than 60 , and $1,000 for all below the age of 18, to be held in an irrevocable Trust.
Enrolled members, all age calculations and vesting are as of January 9, 2013.
The Clearlake City Council is looking for community members interested in serving in the city's planning commission since three seats may be open as of March.
One seat was vacated by Gina Fortino Dickson, who was elected to the Clearlake City Council and two seats are expiring and neither has begun the process to apply for reappointment.
Swanson said applications are due by Feb. 28 and new terms would run through March 11, 2017.
According to The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) California ranks 43rd for pet ownership with 52.9 percent of households owning a pet and is also ranked in the bottom 10 for cat.
The most recent survey based on December 31, 2011 numbers, reveals that the top 5 pet-owning states are: Vermont 70.8 percent of households owned a pet, New Mexico with 67.6 percent, South Dakota with 65.6 percent, Oregon with 63.6 percent, Maine with 62.9 percent,
The states with the most dog owners are: Arkansas where 47.9 , New Mexico with 46 percent, Kentucky with 45.9 percent, Missouri with 45.9 percent, and West Virginia with 45.8 percent.
A Healthier Living Workshop is being given to teach the skills needed to live with a chronic disease.
The six week program is open to anyone with arthritis, heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, diabetes or lung disease.
The workshop will be offered at the Hillside Health Center in Ukiah in the Main Conference Room on Thursdays from 2 to 4:30 p.m. starting January 31 to March 7.
The program is free, but you must preregister and be able to attend each weeks lesson.
Please call Darca at 462-3547 to register.
Stay tuned for Community & Ecology @ 9:00 AM
Cal Winslow continues a look at the health of our oceans with William Lemos, a member of the Mendocino Land Trust and the Natural Resources Defense Council.