AM News Monday 9.30.11
Although The Sherwood Valley Rancheria of Pomo
Indians raised concerns in May about possible
damage to their historic cultural site at risk due to the Willits bypass construction, CalTrans removed all top soil, installed up to 1,500 wick drains every 3 feet to
80 feet down and then placed 3 feet of fill on top of
the historical site.
However, according to CalTrans spokesman Phil Frisbie "There is no indication that the site was destroyed, We know this: the site is still there, mostly intact, and nothing was taken out," says Frisbie. However, tribal archaeologist Lee Claus said "The site was not just
destroyed it was "eviscerated,"
Tribal Chairman Mike Fitzgerral is requesting CalTrans stop all dirt disturbing operations immediately and to consult" with the tribe as required by law.
CalTrans archaeologists located the site in 2011 but
in 2012, someone in CalTrans removed it from the list of cultural sites to be protected. "We respect the
tribe's concerns and will redouble our efforts to monitor and safeguard cultural resources moving forward," said a CalTrans statement issued Sept. 25.
Six of the nine members of the board of directors of
the Redwood Coast Senior Center resigned by the
end of last Fridays meeting.
More than 150 people turned out, the vast majority to support Executive Director Charles Bush. The board voted last week 4-2 with two abstentions to fire Bush, but the firing was
never legally authorized.
Kathleen Johnson, president, James Graham, vice
president, Sandra Donato, Gin Paul Kremen, Ronalie Silveira and Lizette Weiss all announced resignations and only Graham and .Kremen attended the meeting.
Bushansky encouraged people to apply for the six
open board seats. He promised that anyone who seeks to join the board will be contacted and interviewed.
The annual meeting was rescheduled for the last
Friday in October at the Senior Center at, 1 p.m.
Watch for more details in the Oct. 10 edition of the
Fort Bragg Advocate.
Robert Preece, the father of a Fort Bragg Dodgers fan, Jonathan Denver, who was fatally stabbed
Wednesday following a Giants game made a public plea for witnesses after San Francisco’s DA released a suspect because of a lack of evidence. Denver’s
father spoke outside the Giants’ stadium, before
Sunday’s game with the San Diego Padres.
The suspect, Michael Montgomery, 21, of Lodi, was
released from custody Friday night.
Gascon said police had not spoken with any
independent witnesses who may have seen the fight Wednesday night. Denver’s father, Robert Preece
and others with them that night saw bystanders using cellphone cameras. “We’re calling on them to come
forward to help both families find out what happened.”
Denver who lived in Fort Bragg was stabbed to death after attending a game with his brother, father and two others to celebrate his father’s 49th birthday. Several of Denver’s extended family from Fort Bragg were
also heading to San Francisco .
The effort to recall controversial Lake County Sheriff
Frank Rivero has failed because there were not
enough valid signatures submitted to place a recall
before voters. The recall needed 7,026 valid
signatures from registered voters to place it on the
ballot. They submitted nearly 7,800 signatures but
about 2,000 were invalid.
Rivero said he wasn't surprised by the failure and had never wasted his time worrying about or fighting the
His opponents say they don't see the recall's shortfall as a failure.
“Over 7,000 Lake County residents signed petitions to remove the incumbent sheriff. This clearly
demonstrates that Mr. Rivero's days as sheriff are
numbered,” Brian Martin, a former Sheriff's lieutenant and candidate to replace Rivero, said .